Friday, June 24, 2011

The Distressed Maiden Factor

Boys really like rushing to the aid of a lady in distress, even if she's not all that distressed.  It all started a few weeks ago when I just wanted to listen to my Jeremy Camp cd.  I was changing cds and driving through my apartment complex when I didn't notice the gutter that juts out from the curb.  POW!  I popped my passenger tire. My husband graciously took off the damaged tire and drove to Discount Tire to get a replacement.  However, I hit so hard that I cracked the rim, and a new one had to be ordered.

I went in today to replace the rim.  I was further frustrated to learn from staff that my two back tires are worn and need to be replaced as well.  "Let's wait until I can contact my husband." I told the incredulous attendant. "But you need tires!  What if you have to drive in the rain?"  I'm thinking "I'll be living in the rain if I buy those tires without checking the bank account first" but politely answered, "I just need to check my budget, I'll come back tomorrow if it's ok."  All eyes were on me in the waiting room as he rolled the tread-less tire back outside.  Immediately criticism and advice starting coming from all sides of the waiting area from the men waiting on their cars.  "Does your husband do the maintenance?" "Did you contact the apartment complex about painting that gutter?" "You need to rotate your tires more often" "Who changes your oil?" etc. etc.  You would have thought I didn't know what a car was.  One gentleman told me "You should rotate your tires after every oil change.  Every 5,000 miles."  "Every 5,000?" I replied, sure that I needed to change my oil more frequently than that.  "You don't know much about cars, do you?"  the man replied.  I wanted to say "You don't know much about knitting, do you?" but withheld my words.  Soon my car was ready and I rolled into work, glad to be far away from the testosterone ridden tire shop.  Alas, sounds like I'll be a stressed maiden again far too soon.

1 comment:

  1. Haha Monica that's so funny! I actually drive 5000 miles between oil changes and have my tires rotated every oil change...not kidding! :)

    ReplyDelete