Monday, April 11, 2011

A Musing

In just a few weeks I will have been out of college as long as I was in it.  This breeds contemplation over the events that have taken place within the last four years.  The August following graduation, I crossed the Mississippi River into the state I would call home.  It was a rite, if you will, a symbolic crossing into a new life, a leaving behind of adolescence, an acceptance of responsibility.  I plunged into the unknown at full speed.  Hadn't I been waiting for it my whole life?

With a little trial and error I got my first professional job and moved into a one bedroom apartment.  It would be the first apartment of my married life as well, but when I moved in I had nothing but a bed a friend had given me.  I ate cheap meals on my locker which also held all my clothes, and worked out in the empty living room.  Six months after graduating college I was an engaged woman.  Six months after that I was married.

The transition into adult life was difficult to say the least.  There was bitterness and loneliness at the loss of old friends.  But their was joy and pride in living a life that was all mine.  I have forgiven more in the last 4 years than I ever thought I could.  My new husband and I transitioned to Nashville, the tiniest big city I know.  A break in last year rocked our illusion of security, but we saw the faithfulness of God in the midst of it.  We are learning what it means to have a Biblical marriage, little by little, and are entering into a new phase of our lives.  This next phase is called "Jerrion goes to grad school."  My walk with God has been shaky, but I have learned more about who He is by knowing Him in different phases of my life.  He is unchanging, and my mind has to find new ways to wrap itself around Him.  He is a friendly mystery. 

I still cannot believe it has been 8 years since I was in my parent's house.  Reflecting on the past allows a deeper understanding of events and better ways to cope.  I welcome the years to come, however many God chooses to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment