Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Disappointed

"For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you. But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead." -1 Peter 4:3-5

Time and again Scripture emphasizes the set apartness of the believer in regards to sin.  Not that a believer does not sin, but that he has been made aware of his sin and its detrimental consequences.  We are told not to be surprised by the evil deeds of our neighbors, because we are in fact the suprising ones - a minority, if you will - a people who stand against what the world promotes.  I am by no means perfect (just ask anyone who knows me) but there are certain things I just will not do.  And yet, despite everything Scripture has to say about Satan being the "prince of this world" I am still shocked and saddened by the choices people make.  I know God must feel the same way toward me.  It's difficult to watch a friend engage in practices that are ruining her life.  As an outsider looking in, I can see the long term consequences of those choices, and they are indeed self-destructive.  My loving words of warning are met with attitude, and I wonder how many times God has said "Don't." and I've responded with a big "Whatever."  It is a mournful thing to stand helplessly by as a loved one destroys themselves.  I won't be the one to say "I told you so."  Instead I'll say "I still love you.  You can choose a new path right now."  Isn't that what God tells me every day?

I was also reminded this weekend how hateful people can be regarding the choice I made in my husband.  Though it doesn't happen very often, there are the stares, the angry eyes, the disapproving looks.  The whispered words you think we can't hear.  The hate you turn and teach to your children.  Amazing how in America you can be gay but you can't be a biracial couple.  It's almost flattering, in a way, to think that people can look at me and care enough to be hateful.  I married my husband because I had never met anyone with quite the outlook on the kingdom of God that he has.  I know he loves Jesus because he lives the Gospel.  How could I not marry a man like that?

"Do not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own actions were evil and his brother’s were righteous. Do not be surprised, my brothers and sisters, if the world hates you. We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death." -1 John 3:12-14

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Monica. I was so sad just now about how I think an old friend remembers me, and then I saw your verse. I had no idea the bible warns us not to be surprised. That made me feel better. It's true: the unrighteous hate the righteous because of a difference in perception of what is truth in action. People who aren't doing good are scornful against those who are, perhaps because secretly our prescence is a reminder of what they are supposed to be doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate-

    Yeah, it makes way more sense when you think about that verse. I love how practical God is - it's logical now as to why believers are persecuted, even in small amounts like we experience socially. I think you really hit on something interesting. I never thought about it, but I could see two reasons why the world hates Christians. We offer an alternative reality to what they see before their eyes, and things like greed, selfishness, and lust don't look like sins when the world tells you to be rich, successful, and desired. It must sound like pure craziness to the world when we preach forgiveness, humility, and submission of will. At the same time, I definitely agree with you that we remind the world they are to be held accountable for their actions. Even if they don't believe in God, the thought of paying a price for doing wrong can't sit well. I feel so incredibly blessed when I think that the only difference between me and a nonbeliever is the forgiveness of Christ. Oh that everyone would taste and see how sweet is the love of Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The verse makes me think of friends who leave us because we try to warn them from something. "And why did they push away their friend? Because their own actions were evil and his friend's were righteous." There have been times when I feel my approach hasn't been very godly, and I'm working on that, but also in that there is their refusal to listen. This is something that I am trying to understand: how to minister and be a disciple. A lot of times my own emotional connection to that person hinders my ability to reach them as God would have me. I want to learn how to use love for good, and not evil. Perfect love drives out fear! And enabling!
    It is pure craziness to the world when we speak of forgiveness; I know from experience! Sometimes when my mom forgives certain people I just don't understand. Even I struggle with it a little bit.
    Also from experience, I've come to an understanding that nonbelievers just don't care about eternal separation from God, because they've never been in true communion with God. They don't know what it feels like to be loved by him. They don't see the goodness of God.It's the public perception of hell that often makes them question their choices, if they do at all. As I am writing this now, I consider that maybe all of this is kind of thought is inward; I don't feel that they even will admit it to others, that they question their actions. There is such a deviation from self-awareness, and it seems to be all about hiding. My heart is with them, I have visited that path many times in my life.

    And yeah, the only difference between the two is forgiveness, which then translates into opportunities and experiences which could help them understand more. First, one must have the faith of a mustard seed, then everything is built from there. The question is, how does one help another get to that place of small faith without the other person's willingness to live experiences or study the Word? It's confusing to me. It just seems like people don't begin to accept God unless something really big happens in their lives. Do people accept the faith just out of curiousity, or just out of a desire to transform? It seems like the transformation doesn't take place unless something big happens.

    ReplyDelete